Monday, July 23, 2012

Book Review: Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls


This is a mostly true story about the great grandmother of the author, Jeannette Walls.  This is actually her second book, the first being best seller Glass Castle (about her own life's story).  I'm glad I read this book first because it will give me some history and background on her family and especially her mother's upbringing before I read Glass Castle (its also in my to read pile somewhere).
 
The book is about a woman's life in the 1900s and how she grows up, marries, works, etc. and has a different view point of many different aspects than now but also shows how she was confident and able to stand up and have a profession and speak her mind in years when it was thought that she should stand by idly cooking dinner and birthing babies.  Towards the end of the book there is a lot of focus on Rosemary, who is Jeannette Walls' real life mother.  Rosemary is a wild child who doesn't listen to many rules or advice given by her parents and I suspect Jeannette's life story in Glass Castle will be very good being raised by such a rambunctious woman.

Although the plot is nothing too fancy (after all its real life!) I thoroughly enjoyed the book and in fact read in in only a couple of days.  Now off to locate Glass Castle!

Its pretty cheap on Amazon if Half Broke Horses sounds good to you!



No comments: