Thursday, March 29, 2012

How To Eat in Chi-Town

On our weekend trip recently we took advantage of the good eats in Chi-Town so thought we'd share some thoughts with you.

We had some help finding great restaurants by a couple that lived in the area and also my sister's obsession with the Food Network.

The BEST place we went was Fogo De Chao.  Our friend mentioned unlimited meat, steak, chicken....she had us at unlimited.  And boy do they mean it!



The atmosphere is great with a fire as you walk in, great wall decor and the fanciest salad bar I ever did see!


The price is high - $50.00 per person for unlimited meat or $25 for unlimited salad bar.
However, have you ever had 2 oz of filet, 2 oz sirloin, 4 oz chicken, and 2-3 helpings of lamb in one meal at a restaurant?  That was about what I had along with my salad bar.
The boys were seeing if they could wear out the waiters with how many times they came to our table.


The waiters just walk around with their cuts of meat and you let them know what you want and it magically appears at your table.  About 30 minutes into it the boys finally gave the waiters a break but they had to have eaten a good 20+ ounces each!

Each table gets sides as well:  de queijo (warm cheese bread), crispy hot polenta, garlic mashed potatoes and caramelized bananas.  OMG the cheese bread was so great my sister already has a recipe to make for me her family.


(Sorry no cheese bread - the basket was probably getting refilled)


The salad bar is not only pretty but AWESOME to eat from!
People were looking at me wierd when I was taking photos so here is the website's description of the salad bar:

Our gourmet salad and sides bar is a culinary experience not to be missed. Enjoy an extensive selection of over 30 items. It's a virtual feast of gourmet salads, fresh vegetables, imported cheeses, artisan breads, cured meats and more.
24 Month, Aged Parmesan
Aged Manchego Cheese
Prosciutto
Brazilian Hearts of Palm
Artichoke Bottoms
Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Fresh Mozzarella
Smoked Salmon
Italian Salami
Jumbo Asparagus
Tabbouleh
Shitake Mushrooms




The fresh mozzarella was a hit!



Here is a snapshot of my sister's salad:


Overall, worth the money, worth the food baby afterwards.  I'm proud to say there is a Fogo De Chao in Arizona, where we are moving so we will be back!



We also tried the Plymouth, featured on Food Network.
Its literally the entire building - you can sit on the top or in the basement.
We got the basement.


We were there at breakfast time but they serve anything anytime - which I LOVE in food places. 
Sometimes I just want a salad at 7am you know?


I got a turkey spinach veggie omelet which was good!


Everyone else had a hodgepodge of breakfast and lunch items.
Their bloody mary's were a bit strange but the mimosa's were delisioso!

Lou Malnati's was another place we went, some of us twice. :)

Its local Chicago style pizza and it was GREAT.
Unfortunately I only got a couple of pics, no pizza.


The Parmesan salad dressing was AWESOME.  I am one of those people who judge a place on their house dressing or their Ranch.  If its nasty I generally won't come back since I eat a salad with almost every meal.  This was superb.  Probably why I went back the next day for dinner too. :)



Hot wings and sampler platter were great - so was the dipping Ranch.

When we had pizza we got cheese, pepperoni and a specialty.  All with some great sauce, great atmosphere and a great waitress.  Who knew there were so many in Chicago too?
We went to two separate locations at least but it was the same great food.

Overall -Chi Town made my tummy happy.

Have you ever visited any of these places? What's your favorite thing to eat?

No comments: