Monday, August 15, 2011

Book Review: The Children of Men

I picked this book up at the local library book sale that I am magnetized towards every year (HUGE NERD ALERT) and figured I would hold off on seeing the movie until I read the book.  And I'm glad I did.

First, the book is better than superior to the movie as is in most cases of a book being turned into a motion picture.  The movie skips what I thought were critical background details and my husband was confused watching since he did not read the book.  In fact, WE TURNED OFF THE MOVIE.  He even agreed it was boring.

However, I found the book, although slow to start (but necessarily going through the background information), it turned out to be a good intrigue.  The basic premise is that the human race is no longer able to reproduce for some odd reason, leaving the population to be fearing extinction.  The youngest person is around 18 years old and the population is turning to rebellion in light of their foreseen death.  But then in a twist of fate (because what kind of book would it be without one) there is a group of rebels who think they can change the world to be a great place in the end of days. 

Although the writer uses phrases that I wouldn't (she's British I believe after all so our cultures are different) I found this to be a good read and would recommend it to you - but STAY AWAY FROM THE MOVIE.  You won't want to read it if you watch the BOOOORING movie first, if you make it through the entire thing.

Since I haven't done a giveaway in a while and in honor of The Frugal Tuesday Tip, I'm offering to give this book away for FREE.  Here is how to enter:

1. Leave a comment letting me know if you saw the movie: The Children of Men. (one entry for letting me know, whether you saw it or not!)

2. Leave a comment letting me know of the best book you've read this year (I have some Amazon bucks to use up!)


*I was not paid for this review.  These are my opinions only.  This is linked up to the Frugal Tuesday Tip.  For more freebies and great ideas, click on the link below:

No comments: