Wednesday, December 1, 2010

River, Cross My Heart [starting at $6! on Amazon]

This was a book from a friend and also one of Oprah's book club books so I'm one closer to my goal of reading them all.  This book was about a little black girl in the 1920's whose sister has died from a tragic accident involving swimming, which is something the surviving sister loves to do.  The book is a story about the loss of a sister, a daughter, and how different family members cope/ignore the loss.  Its also an insight into the 1920s and how the black culture really rallied around this family after such a loss.  Also how the whites couldn't overlook the surviving sister's skin color even for something as trite as a swimming contest.  It was a great read, although I personally thought it had a very abrupt ending.

I'd give it 3/5 stars.
***

No comments: